Control-R Through Your History
Interactively search through your command line history with a simple keyboard shortcut.
At a new shell prompt (bash or Terminal.app on Mac) press
Start typing the search string to lookup in your bash history. As you type the top matching command in your history will appear.
Return to accept the search and execute the matching command or
Esc to cancel the search.
You can also hit the right-arrow to edit the command before running it.
This method is based, with permission, on an original protocol available here.
- Bash Command Substitution
- Collaborate in the shell with screen (multiuser)
- Use screen to manage persistent sessions
- Reload .bash_profile without logging in again
- Re-execute command line with !
Get my latest Python projects, tips & tutorials direct to your Inbox.